Interested in becoming an Officer?
We are always looking for talented people to join the Municipal Enforcement division. It's a rewarding career that includes duties such as traffic enforcement, conducting investigations related to enforcement of city by-laws and other territorial statutes, and assisting domestic animal control. As an officer, your job will involve laying charges, documenting evidence, keeping good notes, following court procedures, maintaining records, filing reports and appearing in court to give evidence. You will also operate firearms and animal control equipment. Above all, a municipal enforcement officer must always conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner while performing duties, and possess a confidence and understanding in working with domestic animals, including aggressive ones, to properly perform the duties required.
A career as a municipal enforcement officer is fun and exciting, and gives you an opportunity to interact with other residents of Iqaluit every day. We work with other law enforcement agencies, such as the RCMP, to provide education on important issues like impaired driving and bullying.
Education, Skills and Knowledge
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Ability and confidence to conduct investigations, inspections and interviews, and to deal with the public
- Prior experience in municipal or law enforcement/security/policing or related fields
- Knowledge and experience in dealing with by-laws, federal laws and acts
- Valid Nunavut Class 5 driver’s licence is required
- Must be comfortable dealing with animals
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including concise report writing
- Pass a criminal record screening (upon start of employment)
- Pass a TB test (upon start of employment)
Preferred Education, Skills and Knowledge
- Previous work experience as a municipal enforcement officer, police constable or peace officer is an asset
- Self-defense, radar, and conflict resolution training is an asset
- OC spray training and baton certification is an asset
- Ability to read and write Inuktitut is preferred
- Post secondary diploma and certification in related field is an asset to this position
- Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). Applicants without a PAL will be considered, but would be required to obtain the licence within the first three months of employment.