The Emergency Services Department is seeking a Dispatcher to join their team!
Department: Emergency Services
Reference #: 04-1093
Status: Full-time permanent
Salary Range: $61,181.45 - $73,911.83 per annum
Allowance: $20,907.43 per annum
Schedule: 4 on, 4 off, rotating between days and night
Union Status: Unionized
Closing Date: Open until filled
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Under the direction of the Deputy Fire Chief, the incumbent will be responsible for monitoring all emergency communications and dispatching the appropriate emergency personnel. This position serves as a vital link between the citizens of Iqaluit whom require emergency assistance and the appropriate response personnel.
Additionally, the incumbent will monitor fire and contract alarm systems, provide information or direct incoming calls to the appropriate City or inter-agency department as well as monitor, log and assist non-emergency dispatch communications within various City Departments.
The ideal candidate shall possess:
- Grade 12 diploma
- Dispatch/emergency communications experience
- Experience dealing with the public in a polite, sympathetic and professional manner
- Proficient with computers and Microsoft Office Suite i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel
- Exceptional verbal communication and listening skills
- Ability to provide timely and accurate information while multi-tasking in a highly demanding environment
- Dependability and flexibility is required and may be subject to overtime
Assets include: fluency in Inuktitut and or French, CPR/First Aid, firefighting or emergency response experience, NFPA 1001, EMR certification, or experience with an Incident Reporting System.
Equivalencies that include a combination of education, knowledge, skills and abilities to formal education and previous experience will be considered.
Due to the nature of this position, a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check are required of this position.
Please email your resume and credentials quoting Reference # to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources, City of Iqaluit www.iqaluit.ca
PO Box 460 Phone: 867.979.5619
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0 E-mail: email@example.com
- The City of Iqaluit embraces the intent and spirit of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit; Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive consideration under this agreement
- Only those selected to interview will be contacted