Burn Permit Required for Open Flame Fires

June 20, 2022

Public Service Announcement
Burn Permit Required for Open Flame Fires
June 20, 2022 – Iqaluit, Nunavut

The City of Iqaluit would like to remind residents that they must complete and submit a burn permit to Dispatch at dispatch@iqaluit.ca, when they intend to have an open flame outdoor fire. Before having a fire, residents must have received back a burn permit from Dispatch.

The permit can be found on the city website (https://www.iqaluit.ca/departments/emergency-services-0).

The burn permit only applies to open flame fires (bonfire/fire pits). Coleman stoves or lamps do not require a burn permit.

Only wood is allowed to be burnt. No tires, mattresses or other non-wood materials should be burnt.

If no permit is acquired and fire department receives a call about the fire, residents will be asked to extinguish the fire and informed about the permit requirement. Residents may also be charged for any responding fire trucks and extinguishment required.

Any questions they can email dispatch or call 867-979-5650.


For additional information, please contact:
City of Iqaluit Dispatch