Mayor Redfern Urges Iqaluit Residents to be Fire Safe
JULY 2, 2019 (IQALUIT, Nunavut) – The City of Iqaluit Fire Department responded to its fourth fire this weekend on Monday evening, July 1st.
The Fire Department responded to a structural fire at approximately 7:40 PM behind House 753 where two sheds were fully engulfed in flames. The Fire Department arrived on scene and started initial suppression to knock down the fire. By 8:18 PM, the Fire Department had the fires under control. The fires were fully extinguished by 10:27 PM, and the adjacent house was saved and sustained minor damage. The Fire Department ordered the two sheds to be taken down to ensure the fire was completely extinguished. No injuries were reported. The residents were allowed back in their home and QEC are working to restore power to their home.
Mayor Redfern urged residents to be fire safe. “We ask our residents to be careful with anything that is fire related, such as cigarettes or BBQs. Also please pay attention to what is happening in or around your property or neighbourhood and call the RCMP if you see any activity you think is suspicious.” The City would also like to remind residents that bonfires within the city limits must be at least 30 meters from any structures or combustible materials.
For more information, please contact the City of Iqaluit.