Large item pick-up program
The City is pleased to announce that the annual large item pick-up program will take place from July 5 to July 10, 2021.
This is an opportunity for residents to discard difficult to remove items without a fee with the help of Public Works.
Residents can dispose of the following items:
• Two appliances (washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, or stove);
• Three large household items that weigh 50 pounds or more and are too large to fit into a black garbage bag. This includes: • Furniture (couches, chairs, tables, mattresses, etc.)
• Flooring (carpets, under padding, and sheet linoleum), bundled in maximum 1.7 m x 1 m (5 ft. x 3 ft.) lengths (one bundle equals one bulk item)
• Plumbing fixtures, including toilets
• Windows and mirrors
Leave your large items out on July 5 in the following manner:
• Placed separate to regular waste by garbage bin
• Organized by material
• Placed into piles
• Not stacked
Work crews will work through a collection schedule based on different materials. This means your large-item collection may not be completed until the end of the week.
Items not intended for pick-up should be removed from the garbage bin area (i.e. bikes, toys) to ensure they are not taken by mistake.
Please also note that Commercial zones are not included in the large item pick-up (i.e. downtown core, West 40, and Federal Road).
The following materials will not be collected and must be taken to the landfill for disposal:
• Electronics (televisions, computers, etc.)
• Household hazardous waste
• Automobile parts, including vehicle seats
• Mixed waste piles
• Building and demolition debris
• Wood (construction/demolition waste, shelving, pallets, crates, doors, etc.)
• Propane tanks
• Soil and rocks
• Pet waste
• Cardboard boxes – which is already included in regular residential pickup, or can be taken to the landfill
For additional information, please contact:
Public Works Clerk
City of Iqaluit