January 01, 2015
Be safe when snomobiling this winter by practicing these steps:
- Check the weather forecast, and tell someone where you are going and for how long you will be gone.
- Learn the signs of hypothermia (when body temperature drops to dangerously low levels) and what to do if this happens.
- Wear well-insulated protective clothing including goggles, waterproof snowmobile suits and gloves, and rubber-bottomed boots.
- Drivers and passengers should wear helmets that meet Canadian standards.
- Carry a first-aid kit, an emergency tool kit (with spark plugs, and drive and fan belts), an extra key, and a survival kit that includes flares and a SPOT Device. (Available from HTOs)
- Always keep headlights and tail lights on so that you can see, and so that others can see you.
- Never drink alcohol or use non-prescription drugs before or while operating a snowmobile.