Tips for Water Shut Down
The City would like to remind residents of a water shut down for all of Iqaluit on Wednesday, September 01, 2021 from approximately 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to allow for the replacement of key valves to our water infrastructure.
In an effort to ensure Iqaluit residents are prepared for the water shut down the following tips can be considered to avoid any major inconveniences:
- Homeowners should turn OFF circulator pumps prior to the water shut down and back on after the shut down is finished. Failure to do so could result in damaged circulator pumps
- Fill water jugs or other food-safe storage containers ahead of time to avoid being without water on the day of the shut down
- The City recommends that all water used for consumption and dental hygiene is brought to a rolling boil for a minimum of one full minute
- Fill your bathtub/sink the night before the shut down to use during the day. You can scoop water out as required and boil if water is needed for drinking/eating/hygiene
- Take the back off of your toilet bowl in order to fill the tank with water for flushing
- Use hand sanitizer or other waterless cleaning agents for general cleaning
- Restrict water usage to essential-only uses
- Those on trucked-water services are encouraged to conserve water the day before to ensure that they do not run out during the date of the shut down
Residents should not be alarmed if they see fire hydrants flowing as this is required in order to drain the water lines.
For more information during business hours contact:
Public Works Clerk
S.Avery@iqaluit.ca | 867-979-5630
To report an urgent water issue (city water main leak or no water pressure) after hours contact: City Dispatch 867-979-5650