COVID-19 and City of Iqaluit Updates
March 17, 2020 (Iqaluit, Nunavut) – The City of Iqaluit’s first priority is its staff and residents.
The City of Iqaluit continues to work closely with the Government of Nunavut’s Department of Health to monitor and respond as needed to the COVID-19 situation.
The City of Iqaluit continues to take action in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. To prevent the risk of infection the City is:
- working closely with the Government of Nunavut Department of Health:
- asking visitors to delay non-essential travel to Iqaluit;
- closing recreation facilities and programs;
- restricting access to city workplaces;
- cancelling all non-essential business travel for staff;
- increasing cleaning measures in all City facilities, with a focus on disinfecting surfaces and touch points;
- increasing signage to create awareness of hand washing and disease prevention in all facilities.
We encourage our residents to delay any non-essential visits to the City Hall, Building 2425, Fire Hall, Recreation Offices and City Garage.
- Business can be conducted on-line or by phone;
- Taxes, utilities, land leases, traffic tickets etc. can be paid through financial institutions via internet or telephone banking.
If you require any information regarding your accounts or need assistance with online payment, please contact the City Finance Department at the following numbers, Utilities 979-5665 or 979-5606, Property Taxes & Land lease 979-5602 & 979-5606. Request for information can also be sent to the following email address Accountsreceivable@Iqaluit.ca.
This is a rapidly evolving situation; discussions and decisions are being made on an ongoing basis. Any changes in operations will be communicated and posted to the City of Iqaluit website at www.iqaluit.ca
The City of Iqaluit continues to provide all other services until further notice.
The City is committed to providing essential services during the pandemic including water and sewer delivery, garbage pick up and emergency services (fire, ambulance, dispatch). However, closing additional City facilities, as a precaution, in the near future is a possibility.
For information on preventive measures, go to:
For information on travel and related advisories go to:
For additional information, please contact:
City of Iqaluit