Public Service Announcement
Large Item Pick-up Program
June 16th, 2020 – Iqaluit, Nunavut
The City is pleased to announce that the annual large item pick-up program will take place during the week of Monday, June 22nd to Friday, June 26th, 2020. This is an opportunity for residents to clean up their homes by discarding large items to the landfill with the help of City work crews.
Residents are invited to dispose of the following items:
- Two appliances (washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, or stove)
- Three large household items that weigh 50 pounds or more, and are too large to fit into a black garbage bag.
• Furniture (couches, chairs, tables, mattresses, etc.)
• Flooring (carpets, under padding, and sheet linoleum), bundled in maximum 1.7 m x 1 m (5 ft. x 3 ft.) lengths (one bundle equals one bulk item)
• Plumbing fixtures, including toilets
• Windows and mirrors
Please leave all items beside but separate to your garbage bin on Sunday, June 21rd, 2020.
Please respect the limit of three items and organize permitted items with the following criteria:
- Separate from regular waste
- Pile material into separate piles
- Do not stack items
Work crews will schedule a City-wide collection based on material throughout the week. This means certain items may be left for another pick-up day.
Items not intended for pick-up should be removed from the garbage bin area (i.e. bikes, toys, personal gear) to ensure they are not taken by mistake.
Please also note that Commercial zones are not included in the large item pick-up (i.e. downtown core, West 40, and Federal Road).
The following materials will not be collect and must be taken to the landfill for disposal:
• Electronics (televisions, computers, etc.)
• Household hazardous waste
• Automobile parts, including vehicle seats
• Mixed waste piles
• Building and demolition debris
• Wood (construction/demolition waste, shelving, pallets, crates, doors, etc.)
• Propane tanks
• Soil and rocks
• Pet waste
• Cardboard boxes – which is already included in regular residential pickup, or can be taken to the landfill
Residents are responsible for taking any additional items for disposal to the landfill.
All items collected during large-item pick-up are disposed of in the landfill.
Residents can also help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in the landfill, by selling, trading, or giving away items in good condition.
For additional information, please contact:
Public Works Clerk
City of Iqaluit
ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᔪᑦ ᑐᓴᒐᒃᓴᙳᖅᑎᑕᐅᔪᑦ ᐱᔭᐅᔪᓐᓇᖃᑦᑕᖅᑐᑦ ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑑᖓᓗᑎᒃ , ᖃᓪᓗᓈᑎᑐᑦ , ᐅᐃᕖᑎᑐᓪᓗ ᐅᕙᓂ www.iqaluit.ca