These animals are currently in the care of Municipal Enforcement. If you recognize your dog or would like to report a lost dog, please call City Dispatch at 979-5650 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m Monday to Friday, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Municipality advocates for the safety and well-being of dogs and plays an integral role in reuniting lost dogs. Every effort is made to locate and contact the animal's owner within 72 hours. After 72 hours, the dog may be subject to local adoption, sent out of territory, or euthanized.
- Dogs must wear the dog tag purchased for them
- Dogs must not be permitted to run unleashed, off your property
- Dogs must be on a leash when off your property
- Dogs may not disturb the peace by howling, barking, crying
- Dogs shall not be permitted to chase, injure, harass, threaten or attack animals or people
- Dogs shall not be permitted to damage property
- You must pick-up all dog excrement on property that is not your residence
- It is an offence to interfere or give false information to a By-Law officer
- It is an offence to release a dog that is not your own or a dog that has been impounded
- It is an offence of abuse, tease or be cruel to an animal
By-Law 796 requires pets to be registered with the City of Iqaluit each year no later than the 5th day of January. Loose dogs or cats registered and have a City tag attached can easily be returned and at no cost if the owner can be located prior to impoundment, however once the animal is impounded, all associated fees and costs for its return will be incurred by the owner.
Dog registration is $35 for spayed/neutered dogs and $55 for non-spayed/neutered dogs. Cat registration is $15 for spayed/neutered cats and $30 for non-spayed/neutered cats.
To register your pet, download and complete an application form (download form below). Payment can be made in person with the completed form at City Hall and an Annual Tag will be provided to you.